Saturday, February 19, 2011

Master Bedroom Cubby Update

Well as I said in my previous post, the order of items on our to do list has changed. The kitchen has now become the focus.....which is A-O-K with me. The idea is to install subway tile, crown on the cabinetry and build a custom kitchen island. Ambitious? Yes. Do-able? TOTALLY. So that being said, the cubby built in that was to take place in the master bedroom has been shelved temporarily. In order to make that space work for us in the interim (and to alleviate my insane "that cubby is like an eye sore" mentality), I decided to create some shelving and make a little spot to do emails etc.

The dreaded "before" shot.....dum dum duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuummmm. A couple of things come to mind when I look at this.....like what in the world was the builder thinking when creating this nook? Rather than sit and complain about it, I am choosing to embrace it and make it work for us. To start, I took two old wine crates that were collecting dust in our basement and painted them white.


I figured they were structurally sound (having been used to lug wine in a previous life) and most importantly they were FREE. While waiting for these to dry, I went ahead and covered the plain white shade on a little antique lamp a friend passed on to me. This is such an easy update to do and only required some fabric (leftover square from earlier project) and some hot glue strategically placed around the edges. I find that it works best if I faux cover it using wooden laundry clothespins to eye how it looks, line up patterns etc. Then I slowly remove a clothespin and apply a little hot glue underneath. After the glue is applied, I re-attach the clothespin until the glue is set.


Super cute and since we have not installed our lighting yet, it is totally functional to brighten up this nook. Lastly I simply had to hang up the wine crates and add some decor. I used wall anchors when hanging both crates so that I wouldn't have to worry about them falling down or worse yet, ruining our wall. I started by pre-drilling two holes in the crate. I placed the crate on the wall and used a level to make sure I was perfectly aligned. Next, I used a pencil to "dot" where the pre-drilled holes were on the wall making it very easy to drill in the anchors. Lastly, I just had to place the holes over the anchors and put in the screws.


It's super cute and light which I wanted. It will totally serve it's purpose until a more permanent solution is achieved.

Here are the "before and after" money shots!



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...