Monday, April 4, 2011

DIY Driftwood Sunburst

This is the tag team post to my previous one with the stencil above the headboard in our master bedroom. I have wanted to do this for such a long time now and it felt so good to see it through to completion. The reason why I have wanted to do a sunburst with driftwood? Well we are big beach people.....not sit on the beach and get a tan type people (although I secretly love that....the Hubs not so much), we are more the type to go with the fam (dogs included) and do a beach hike. We are very lucky to live in an area that has tons of places to do this and we didn't slow down even when I was ginormo prego (both times). Check out this belly awesomeness.....




Yes, there was a ginormo baby in there too.....all 9 lbs and 4 oz of him. As I got bigger (and subsequently slower...hehehe) the Hubs would always find me a great walking stick from the driftwood at the beach. I would use it the whole time we were walking for extra stability and because I loved the pieces he always seemed to find, I typically threw them in the back of the truck and brought them home with me. He would always ask, with a raised eyebrow, what I was going to do with them and I never really had an answer. Until, I started looking at various wreaths and sunburst mirrors online. I knew instantly that the walking sticks would be a beautiful addition and reminder of my prego days and of those long walks thinking (and often talking to) the lil' bambino growing inside.

To start, I measured the space above the headboard to make sure I created something that would be the right scale for the wall. Then I brought the sticks downstairs to the workshop for cutting and arranging. I cut the sticks to the desired lengths leaving about two inches variance between each piece. I did this to create variety and a less uniform look to the whole sunburst.



I played around with the arrangement and added in skinnier sticks and thicker sticks sporadically to give a more organic feel. Next up was figuring out what I was going to adhere these all to! As my eyes scanned the workshop, I noticed a big empty plastic jug of Folgers and had an AHA moment. I popped the lid off and cut out the center. Instant grayish colored wreath! At that point it was as simple as picking up a piece of wood and dotting some glue down. I worked all the way around and then let it sit for about an hour to set.





It puts a smile on my face every time I see it. What a great reminder of how special this time of my life is! Now off to chase those two lil' meatballs!

3 comments:

  1. The driftwood sunburst completes the look in your bedroom. Great job! Would you like to show this off, meet excellent bloggers, and increase your followers in the process? If yes, please join our Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop.

    It's easy to join. All you have to do is 1) link up whatever creative post you'd like to share - can be a DIY project, decor, photography,crafts, recipes, poem, thrifty finds, or that informative syndicated post that can
    make us laugh, or cry - in short, whatever you're proud of! 2) Then follow as many blogs as your heart desires, preferably starting first with the one before you and after you, before branching out.

    You’re not even required to include the party button – you read that right – not required to include the party button but if you’re so inclined display it in your blog or your post, you’re very much welcome to do so :)

    Please join us at http://www.homemakeronadime.com/2011/04/creative-bloggers-party-hop-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for stenciling, fun sunburst and that big, round belly! Enjoyed reading this post.

    Camille

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...