Thursday, November 18, 2010

Bringing the Outdoors In

I have fawned over these candles from Pottery Barn many a time my friends....many a time. Yet how could anyone ever justify spending $69 on something that will burn and literally disappear before your eyes.

In the quest to replicate this look, I checked out our local craft store and found that there is an actual line of products made from real tree bark. It comes in sheets similar to paper and is extremely inexpensive. Most sheets ranged from $1.29 - $1.99. They had such a variety too! I grabbed a couple sheets and broke out my handy glue gun!


In order to err on the side of safety, I recommend adhering the wood to the exterior of a glass holder and then placing the pillar in it. You could even glue the bark in a sleeve so that you could easily slide it off or replace the holder.

For now, I am using these in our master bedroom in a hollowed out piece of wood. I grounded the grouping in wheat berries which I happened to have in the pantry. I also like the look of brown rice as a base for candles. In an earlier post, I even used candy corn in a hurricane candle holder for my Halloween decor!!

Such an easy project! I ended up with some natural colored wood finishes, but I plan on going back for some white birch when I bust out the Christmas decorations!!

2 comments:

  1. I love this! I didnt know they sold those...i really need to hit up the craft store. Very cool idea :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...