I went ahead and busted out the painting tape and taped off the drawers in the rectangular border that I wanted.
I did just that and waited patiently for about 2 hours. Next up I hit it with the yellow color I selected and then immediately began to remove the tape. Removing the tape while the paint is still wet will ensure clean lines. Enter Problemo Numero Uno: the underlying black paint was lifting off with the tape and reeking havoc along the no longer clean and straight lines of yellow. I don't know if there was something wrong with the paint (maybe it was too old?) or perhaps the technique which I applied it (globbing it on?), but either way it was a bit messy of a finish.
After some paintbrush love and a little black antiquing glaze, I was left with this:
Cute? Maybe.....really it just wasn't working for me. Maybe the contrast was too much. Maybe the border lines were too thick. Not sure, but I let myself live with it for the weekend to see if it grew on me. The only thing that grew though was my overwhelming urge to cover it up and start over.
I grabbed the black paint and painted right back over those lines and immediately breathed a sigh of relief. Yet.......still this morning when I came down to make some coffee, there it sat....and I still felt compelled to do something....Then I remembered some pictures that I saw online of people numbering their wooden stairs (which is UBER cute, may I add). I broke out my number stencils from when I labeled my recycling bins and.......
|Love the leftover wine from the weekend!|
I sort of love it. A little quirky and it definitely draws your eye to the bar. I am going to live with it for a few days and see how I feel, but I think I may have just turned this "miss" into a "hit" for this family.