Thursday, January 20, 2011

Va Va Voom

I have been looking for a way to glam up the family bathroom. I know what you are thinking....it sounds ridiculous. Hear me out though.....with two little boys plus the Hubs, the bathroom tends to lean more towards man-land at times. On any given day there is a plethora of boats, rubber duckies, opened tubes of tooth paste and emptied out shampoo bottles. So a gal can dream of a more glamorous space for the 10 seconds I get in the shower!

I have been particularly interested in raising the shower bar (literally, not metaphorically). With a longer curtain, the eye is drawn up giving the illusion of a taller, larger space. I began my online search and was surprised to learn that the elusive 96 inch + shower curtain was hard to find. That being said, I was undeterred and started scheming, I mean brainstorming, how to make one mine!

Around the same time, the Hubs made the discovery in our linen closet that we had 5 duvet covers. I personally see nothing wrong with this, but I can see his point. Considering he hasn't seen 2 of them in circulation in a few years, he "suggested" we might part with a few of them. The one in particular that he pulled out has very special meaning to me. It was my first "big girl" purchase from West Elm after I purchased my condo. It was my first place that was all mine and I splurged on a gorgeous duvet that made me feel sophisticated. As he stood there holding out the folded up cover in his hand, my brain started to click. I loved the design, it meant something special to me, therefore it would be the new shower curtain.

So I simply separated the duvet along the seam and sewed up the rough edge. Next stop...GLAMVILLE. The shower bar was raised to accommodate the new length and all I had to purchase to make this happen was an extra long liner ($10 at Target).





2 comments:

  1. Colleen I love this so much. It's beautiful!!!

    I know what you mean about making the curtain up high, it looks so much better, and I can't get over how fabulous that fabric is, like a beautiful picture on your wall, only it's the curtain, he he.

    I would LOVE if you shared this over at my blog party!! Bella Before and After , and if you want to win an Avocado Painting, come enter myGIVEAWAY HERE, I really appreciate the support.

    Hugs,
    Bella :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah!! Thanks so much! I am becoming slightly obsessed with your avocado art. Truly beautiful. I LOVE the colors you chose! I am a sucker for bright pops of color like that!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...